Monday, January 6, 2020

How to Throw a History Fair

I was in charge of the history fair this last year, which led me to ask . . . how in the world do you throw a history fair?  I found lots of resources on how to throw a science fair, but information on the history counterpart was sorely lacking.

Here is how I threw a history fair:

1. Pick a theme

You could skip this part, but I looooooove themed parties. They help focus your decorations, displays, any food you might have, etc.  I chose "Through the time machine." Other ideas I had for themes were: "If I lived in . . .", "How my ancestors lived," and "Events that changed the world."

2. Pick what you want the attendees/students to do

I decided to have the students that wanted to participate take turns getting up in front of everyone and give a 2 minute presentation on something they chose to study in history. I encouraged each of them to do something hands on and present it. We had students dress up as famous people from history, bring an old family recipe and a story to go along with it, reenact an event, give a book report, or show an art project.

We almost set up tables so that students could just make a poster and leave their projects for all to view. That would be another good option. Where you are holding your fair will make a big difference. For example, live presentations outside are not so easy.

3. Get the word out!

We sent out fliers, told the students and parents way ahead of time, and dropped not-so-subtle reminders about the upcoming event. We also took this opportunity to ask people to participate in our potluck lunch.


My main advice is to keep it simple. I invited people to bring whatever they wanted to, and to dress up even if they didn't want to present. Or, honestly, to just come. You don't have to present to be a good listener.

4. Make the decorations


I love painting for decorations! I had some owls left over from our Harry Potter Party, so I placed those around the room and paired them with history questions. Such as: "WHOOOOOOO was our first president."

I also made a time machine, the simplest instructions ever can be found here: LINK.

We hung a map, a dinosaur, and then had signs to show people which door to enter through.

5. Set Up/Clean Up

Plan more time than you need to set up and clean up. Remember that you need chairs for attendees, a table for presenters, a table for the food, decorations hung, etc.

Also, prepare a timer for keeping your group on schedule. We had enough kids, that we only gave each of them two minutes. Then I got to be the bad guy by trying to nicely say, "You've done such a good job, but your time is over. You need to wrap it up."

Have a plan for what to do if a student doesn't wrap it up. Are you going to crack down on the time? Are you going to be a softie and not get after them? 'Cause that's what I did.

Do you have any ideas for how to throw a history fair?




No comments:

Post a Comment