Thursday, October 19, 2017

DIY Pool Noodle Horse


So we needed a horse for a costume and we needed one quick.

Of course I went straight to the internet to see if I could find some do it yourself awesomeness that could help us whip up a horse.

What I found were the cutest pool noodle horses. And everyone was making them differently. Some were using hot glue, some were tying the mane on in more of a weave style. Everyone had their own flare to add.

Not having much time, I grabbed a pool noodle that we already had and did the following:


1) I cut 3 pieces of  ribbon and a square of felt.

  • The first piece of ribbon was to tie the "snout" down to the body of the horse. I didn't glue this down or anything, and it hardly budged. However you could secure the ribbon down if you wanted to.
  • The second piece of ribbon was to tie the square of felt down to the body to create a saddle. Again, I didn't glue this down, though you definitely could if you wanted to.
  • The third piece of ribbon was to tie around the neck (over the first ribbon) to help create the reigns.
2) I cut a large piece of a different color of ribbon.

  • This ribbon will be the "mane," so you need to make it however long you want the mane to be. To create the mane I simply used it to tie a knot on the top of the horse's head and then created loops with the rest of the ribbon, knotting each loop. The result was a cascade of knots down the back of the neck, with a loop attached to each one.
3) I glued two googly eyes onto the horse.

  • This is the only thing I glued onto the horse, which meant that I could take the horse apart easily. If you make this horse and want to secure the ribbons down, let me know how it goes!

We got so many compliments on this horse. And it had plenty of use! It was ridden all over the Halloween celebrations and trick-or-treating.


No comments:

Post a Comment