Monday, October 9, 2017

Oil Pulling

Ever heard of oil pulling? 

It'll sound kind of gross as I describe it to you, but the benefits are great! 


This is the oil I am currently using.


Oil pulling is basically the act of swishing oil around your mouth, "pulling" it between your teeth. The oil will help get rid of bacteria and detoxify your mouth. Most instructions you'll find on the good ol' internet say to use coconut oil, sesame oil, or sunflower oil. Personally, I like to use the coconut oil for reasons I will list below. I use the pure, un-refined oil.

One source says to use a tablespoon, another says a teaspoon, and another a couple of teaspoons. Personally, I probably use about a tablespoon, maybe less. It's enough to really swish around my mouth but not make me feel like I am going to swallow it every time I swish.

Then, before breakfast (while I am getting ready for the day or whatever) I swish the oil around my mouth for 20 minutes. After which, the oil has turned a milky-white color and I spit the oil into a plastic sandwich bag, twist seal the top, and put it in the garbage.

Last but not least I rinse my mouth out and brush my teeth.

Tip: When spit this into your drain!!! Oil can clog your drains.

Tip: Don't swallow. The oil is helping to get rid of toxins and other gross things in your mouth. If you swallow the oil then you are just swallowing all those gross things. Yuck! And bad for you!

Tip: Start slow. As you are starting out and not used to this, use less oil. The coconut oil is great, but it starts out as a solid. Putting solid oil in your mouth is . . . less than appealing. Using smaller amounts of oil as you begin this process will help you learn how to get through without gagging (I put the oil in my cheek while it melts).

So now that I've made this sound absolutely disgusting, why do I do it? The sources below will give you other unseen benefits, but I'll just stick to what I have personally witnessed from oil pulling. I've been oil pulling on and off for a couple of years now. Read: When it suits me.

My results:

1) Less sensitive teeth.

If I feel like a tooth is giving me some pain, I'll oil pull for a couple of days. Now, nothing beats a dentist. So make sure you don't skip the dentist just to oil pull.

2) Jaw pain from clenching my teeth.

Sometimes I'll suddenly realize, due to a specific kind of pain in my jaw, that I have been clenching my teeth. Ow! So I oil pull for a couple of days and the pain is gone. Now, if I had a repeatedly clenched my teeth this wouldn't work. I also actively stop clenching my teeth!

3) Whiter teeth

When I oil pull for longer periods of time, my teeth become noticeably whiter. But only if I am using coconut oil! I tried sunflower oil to pull once and I felt like it actually yellowed my teeth a little. So I am now forever a coconut oil gal.

4) My mouth feels cleaner

I love how my mouth feels after pulling oil and then brushing my teeth!

The following is a link to Amazon where you can purchase a massive bottle of this stuff. You'll be set for a while.





Want to look into this some more? Check out the following links:






What about you? Has this worked for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment